Thursday, June 20, 2013

Presentation Techniques

At the World Tunnel Congress I got to sit in several presentations.
What I realized - please, don't understand me wrong, this is my opinion - I realized, that the presentations were good, full of information, facts and figures. However most of the speeches could be improved considerably. 

Therefore I want this post to be about presentation techniques.

It seems to me, if someone travels from far away to give a speech, they should be excited, and practice their speech, including the pronunciation in another language.

I think, the common engineer - including me - could improve their presentation skills. 
For me, I would ask myself some questions in advance / prior to create the presentation:
  1. What do I want to achieve with this? Why do I want to talk about it? What is it going to give me?
  2. Who is going to be my audience or who do I want to reach with it?
  3. Why should they care to listen to me?

The presenter has something valuable to give to the listener, so she/he should address them. Not only with the content, also with the body language. This means, that if you are giving a presentation, you should talk to the audience and connect with them. Many did not. They stayed in their own little bubble and some just read their slides out loud without even looking at the audience. Boring!

The best speeches I heard during the congress, were the ones, where the speaker looked at me from time to time, spoke loud and slow enough to be followed in another language, showed emotions like engagement and interest in the topic.

I know, sometimes it is hard to stand in front of a big group - at least for me. But they just want to listen to you and hear about your work to get new input of information and new ideas.

What helps me to improve myself, is to ask a colleague for honest feedback. I had to learn not to feel offended by my colleagues and friends. They don't want to harm me, they want to help me and I asked them to do so.

I am not a presentation coach. But I want to give you my personal summarized feedback of the speeches I heard. 

I hope it will help for your next presentation.

Please, feel free to give me a feedback on this topic - good or what could be different or improved. I will be happy to listen to you.

What presentation resources can you recommend to us such as books, web sites, blogs, methods that could help us give better presentations?

No comments:

Post a Comment